If your organisation is led by self-advocates and/or family members, you can join as a Self Advocacy or Family Carer Organisation.
Joining is a statement of your support for people with learning disabilities being in charge of their own lives and working together as equal citizens.
We will ask you confirm group supports the shared aims and goals of Learning Disability England members.
It will also:
Help your organisation’s mission
- By supporting work or campaigns you agree with
- By contributing to a wider benefit to your community of interest or beneficiaries
Help change and improve what you do
- You get good information, solutions to problems and new ideas
- Everyone is challenged, based on rights and people with learning disabilities’ priorities – a conscience and a help
Help you be well connected and not isolated
- You will join a network of likeminded people and organisations
Organisational Members will be able to:
- Influence and inform the campaigning or key messages Learning Disability England uses in its work with partners, government and members
- Be a part of the changes Learning Disability England members are making together
- Join our network of spokespeople, subject leads or partners on issues you care about
- Shape Learning Disability England’s day to day activity and strategic messaging
- Vote in formal decisions and in electing members of the Representative Body
Organisational members get access to:
- Up to date information, news and resources including a weekly digital newsletter
- The programmes of work and projects on the priorities that are set by members:
This might be through webinars, free workshops, training, networks, events or resources coming from that work.
These are open to staff, volunteers working with the organisation or those people supported by them.
- Quality and improvement tools and networks
- Facilitated problem solving networks or debates on issues that face people and organisations including policy and practice changes
For example, Learning Disability England members have directly influenced the work on reshaping the Mental Capacity Act Amendment Bill
What it costs to join
We know that small groups and voice organisations come in different shapes and sizes, so our membership fee structure from 1 December 2020 reflects this:
Turnover in excess of £200,000 a year: £100 a year
Turnover less than £200,000 a year: £25 a year
If a self-advocacy or family run organisation gets most of its income from delivering services rather than doing self advocacy and/or family voice support, then it will be part of the paid supporter category.
Or contact us on info@LDEngland.org.uk or 0300 111 0444 for more information