Staying in your current home

You could get a grant called a Disabled Facilities Grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities – e.g., stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work to the property. 

People who rent their property will need to get permission for any adaptations from their landlord. When the changes that you are seeking permission for relate to adaptations for a disabled person, the landlord should not refuse permission unless they have a good reason. In some cases, your landlord may be responsible for making the changes.

You might not get any grant if you start work on your property before the council approves your application, so you must apply through your local council. 

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

For more information go to – or speak to your local council.

Local councils also have the option to give financial and other assistance for repair, improvement, and adaptation of homes. This is help in addition to Disabled Facilities Grants. You can find out more from Citizens Advice here

You can be given help in the form of a loan or grant, equipment or materials or advice. Local councils can set their own conditions for deciding who gets help. They may, for example, choose whether to look at your income and savings when you apply for a grant.