Who is there to help?

It can feel hard to know where to start moving home. We would say get help if you can. It is your choice who you ask to help you get the home that is right for you.

Don’t forget you can ask friends or family members for help to plan – they know you well. They might be able to help you with moving or getting things you need for your home. People often lend a hand to pack or give you their spare pan if you ask around

The kinds of services or community support groups will be different everywhere.

We have made this list of ideas or suggestions you might contact for help or information. Could you:

Find other people who have been through all this. They will have ideas and contacts.

You can find autistic or disabled people through local self-advocacy or peer support groups

You can find other families through your local family or carer organisations. There might be local groups on social media too.

The Network of Parent Carer Forums have groups in most areas. 

There are family carer organisations that work with family members of people with a learning disability and autistic people in some areas. 

Ask your local council if they know of one. Or you can ask a family carer support service who may be able to help via their helpline.

Sibs supports siblings of disabled people and may have a local group. Check your local council website for information on housing choices for people with a learning disability and autistic people locally. Most councils have some information and contacts online.

Look on the council website for information on housing choices for people with a learning disability near you. 

Talk to any housing or support providers you can find locally, what can they offer or recommend?

Social services may have a special advisor for how to find housing and `support for living. If you have a social worker, talk to them.

The local housing department can tell you about making a housing application for council and housing association housing. Ask them what kind of help they can offer in the case of people with a learning disability and autistic people.

The local Learning Disability Partnership Board may have housing representatives or a housing subgroup. 

Contact the local advocacy organisation and ask about having an advocate. An advocate could help you speak up or make decisions.

The law says that people must have been able to have to an advocate in some situations: 

  • If someone cannot plan or decide without some help under The Care Act.
  • If someone cannot make a decision themselves an advocate under The Mental Capacity Act can represent them.