You can rent from a private landlord. This means paying money to a person who owns a property so you can live there. Many young people start their housing journey by renting a flat from a private landlord.
Ways you can find private rented housing:
- Through a local letting agent
- From the council: ask a) if they have arrangements to lease properties from private landlords and b) if they can help with money for a deposit
- Someone you know who has a property that they rent out (see below for more information on ‘Renting from a family member, friend, or someone that you know’)
- Looking for ‘to let’ signs
- Looking in the local newspaper
- Looking in shop windows