Private landlord or letting agent

You can rent from a private landlord. This means paying money to a person who owns a property so you can live there. Many young people start their housing journey by renting a flat from a private landlord.

Ways you can find private rented housing:

  • Through a local letting agent
  • From the council: ask a) if they have arrangements to lease properties from private landlords and b) if they can help with money for a deposit
  • Someone you know who has a property that they rent out (see below for more information on ‘Renting from a family member, friend, or someone that you know’)
  • Looking for ‘to let’ signs
  • Looking in the local newspaper
  • Looking in shop windows