The advantages are:
- This can give you more choice about where you live and the type of home. For example: House, flat, bungalow.
- The wait is not usually too long.
- There is usually a wider choice of housing available.
The disadvantages are:
- The rents can be higher council housing and there is a deposit to be paid in advance.
- Housing benefit may not pay the full amount to cover the rent.
- The tenancy agreement may not let you stay long-term so it can be less secure.
- It might not be easy to find a home that is already suitable for your needs.
- Private landlords don’t have to give tenants as much help to adapt your home.
- Some landlords do not look after their homes well.