There are advantages and disadvantages of renting a home from a family member, friend or someone that you know.
The advantages are:
- This way of renting can mean you find a house that suits you quickly.
- Renting from a relative can often be a more secure way of renting privately.
The disadvantages are:
- With family members, it may be awkward if things do not work out well.
- It can be hard if you do not have an agreement about repairs or changes in the house.
- You have to check housing benefit rules about renting from a family member