There are advantages and disadvantages of Supported Living Schemes.
The advantages are:
- You can live near or with other people with a learning disability or autistic person (if you would like to).
- You can still have your independence with a support network in place.
The disadvantages are:
- It is not ‘ordinary’ housing so it may feel separate and different from what most people might choose.
- You might be sharing with people you did not choose to live with.
- You might not be sharing with people the same age as you.
- You might not be sharing with people with the same needs as you.
- You usually have to apply through social services.